Sunday 20 January 2013

Finished Object - Louie the Lovebot

I have finished knitting my first ever stuffed toy! It is Louie the Lovebot by Rebecca Danger.


I absolutely loved knitting Louie, and I think knitting toys may be a new found favourite!

Rebecca's pattern was very clear and easy to follow, and had lots of photos demonstrating what she means. I would really recommend this pattern to anyone wanting to give toy making a go. I liked the pattern so much I went and took advantage of the 5 pattern discount she offers!

Whilst knitting this I learnt:
Magic Loop
Some intarsia (although this did go a bit wrong!)
Picking up stitches
Kitchener stitch 
And knitting with waste yarn to expose live stitches later.

As much as I love Louie, he is far from perfect:
His eyes are wonky 
I struggled a bit with knitting intarsia in the round, luckily it is all hidden inside because it became bit of a mess! After finishing him I found out that I should've knit a row of the heart, then purled the next row of the heart and just slipped the stitches on the next round (sorry if this makes no sense!)
His stripes on his arms are a bit wonky where I pulled the yarn too tight.
There is a slight gap on one of his feet where the leg connects because I didn't pick the right stitch up.

I made him out of Patons DK 100% acrylic yarn, which I have loads left of and only cost £1.69 a ball, bargain!
I knit on 3.5mm needles and used my Knit Pro Spectre needles. I think my needle and yarn choice was probably the only thing I didn't really enjoy whilst knitting this. I have no problem with acrylic yarn and think it works great for toys, but if you don't know, Knit Pro Spectra needles are also plastic. Plastic yarn on plastic needles? Not a nice combination at all, and lots of squeaking!


Because Louie is a robot, of course he likes Xbox! 


10 comments:

  1. Oh he turned out so cute!!! I honestly wouldn't have noticed the little mistakes if you hadn't of pointed them out. I'm interested to hear how you liked the magic loop, I find it annoying. Also I LOVE the pink controller, mine are silver, definitely not that cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I loved magic loop! I just find it a lot more comfortable and portable then DPNs.

      Delete
  2. Aw hes lovely! You're so talented :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I'm not that talented I'm just good at hiding my mistakes hah x

      Delete
  3. He's adorable! I tend toward acrylic for any toys that are going to go to kids-- they're too good at spilling things and having sticky little fingers, so washable and indestructible are good qualities! I love magic loop, too-- I learned for my first pair of socks (which I finished Sunday! Eeep!), and now I have several projects going on it. I can't get comfortable with DPNs, and I don't like buying all different sizes of circulars, so I love that magic loop lets me avoid both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree about the DPNs, the only thing I use them for is my hexipuffs. Well done on the socks!

      Delete
  4. im jealous of your pink xbox remote!

    1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, it doesn't work particularly well though :(

      Delete
  5. Omg that is amazing!
    http://golddustk.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete