Saturday 2 March 2013

My first pole dancing class!


On Thursday I had my very first pole dancing lesson at Polaris Pole Dancing School.
Now before any of you get images of seedy clubs and taking clothes off, I'll let you know it's not like that at all, although there is a lot of heavy breathing and sweating involved. It's a killer workout!

The class takes place in Krunch Gym, which seems to be quite a serious gym, not one of the ones where the girls spend 10 minutes on the tread mill then the rest of the time in the steam room and Jacuzzi which gives a small indication of what you are getting yourself into.  

The class is nice and small, only 8 girls and we each had our own pole.
At first I felt quite nervous, being on the heavier side, but I was put to ease when I saw the class, it was a mix of all different shapes and ages, and everyone was lovely and just as nervous as I was, which put me at ease. 

The instructor Rebecca Plume also helped put everyone feel welcomed and relaxed.
Instructors definitely make or break a class, and Rebecca definitely makes this one. 
She is a small fire cracker, and definitely knows what she is talking about having competed in competitions and actually judging them too.
She is also very encouraging and the small class size means that everyone gets individual attention and help when they need it. She definitely gave me a lot more confidence throughout the class.

We practised a few different spins, dancing moves and static poses, including climbing the pole which I never thought I would be able to do (think of it like climbing the rope in PE, I never managed that!).
I was so impressed by what we managed to achieve and learn in a one hour class, I seriously can't wait for the next one!

I am signed up to do a 6 week course, and before we started our class we watched the end of the previous class. They where seriously impressive, hanging upside down by one leg with no hands, it was amazing! They seemed to have really bonded too and all be very friendly with each other, once again creating a encouraging and happy atmosphere.
 At the end of the class Rebecca announced that that was the last class in the previous beginners course, I can't believe that I might actually be able to do what looks like some seriously advanced moves in just 6 weeks time.



Did I mention my 44 year old mum has signed up for this course with me? She was dreading the first class but absolutely loved it after she did it and is really looking forward to next weeks class as well. This is the first type of workout she has done in years, and although we where both struggling towards the end, we kept going.

It really is a great workout, its more toning than cardio but it will definitely get your heart rate going.
The day after I could really feel it in my stomach, arms, shoulders and chest, and I have some lovely bruises to show for it!

I've definitely found a workout I really enjoy, and Rebecca teaches from beginner through to advanced, so my aim is to really throw myself into this until I get good enough to compete, then I will go to all the competitions! I might be getting ahead of myself here, but I have never been any good at sports so it would be pretty amazing to get to competing level.

I could not recommend pole dancing more, although I would say do your research as I have come across courses that are more expensive than Rebeccas, but have a bigger class size and you have to share the pole so you won't learn as quickly or get as much attention. 
Most good teachers will do a taster lesson so you can see if its for you before investing in the course.

If you still think pole dancing is a bit seedy, then I urge you to watch the video below and see how it is essentially gymnastics turned on its side. You have to admire the athleticism of these girls! 


Now to pick out my stage name!

8 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you signed up for a class! Yay! I've heard it's amazing exercise, but I never realized how artistic it is until seeing that video-- it reminds me of figure skating without the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love this video in particular because it is so artistic. I also love figure skating, but ice skating scares me hah.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like really great fun :), xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I can't wait for next week!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes! A lot of places do the trial for free so no excuses not to :)

      Delete
  4. I've been doing pole dancing for nearly 2 years now and I absolutely love it. I've got so strong its unreal! It's so much fun and the feeling of accomplishment is amazing! Stick at it, its the best workout I've ever done!xxx

    gemmasbeautycorner.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Great Article Post!!
    If you are looking for the best table dancing bar in London. The Horns has lots of beautiful dancers who can perform table dancing and pole dancing clubs Shoreditch for you

    ReplyDelete