Tuesday 20 November 2012

Yarn Haul


At the weekend I went to iKnit in London with Rachel (allthingsrach) and Estée (essiebutton).
I wasn't really meant to pick up any yarn, because I was waiting on the Malabrigo to come, but out of the corner of my eye I saw this gorgeous ice cream coloured yarn that I just had to have.
It is a fingering weight yarn by Araucania and is 100% sugar cane, I didn't even know you could make yarn out of sugar cane!
It is incredibly soft and I think it cost £9.99. 
If I can't think of another project for it I will be using it on my Beekeepers Quilt.

The Malabrigo I ordered as I already had projects I wanted to make with them.
I ordered them from Fabstract, which I was a bit dubious about ordering from because I couldn't find anyone who had purchased from them, but I went ahead anyway and I'm glad I did because I actually received the package the next day! I was super impressed with the service.

I got the Malabrigo Worsted in Polar Morn to make the Orchids and Fairy Lights hat, which is the current knit along on the Tiny Owl Knits group.
I'm very excited about this project, but quite nervous as well because not only is it my first project on circular needles, it's also my first cable project.
I thought it was out of my skill range, but as some one said to me, if you know how to knit and purl you can do anything, just take your time, so I'm very excited about this challenge and will be casting on tonight!

I also got the Malabrigo Chunky in Polar Morn to make the GAP - Tastic Cowl to keep me warm now that its getting to freezing point in the UK.
The chunky weight on Fabstract is buy two get the third free at the moment so a great excuse to buy and very helpful for me because although the pattern says you only need two balls, a lot of people commented that to get the right thickness they would've had to use three.
The Malabrigo itself is gorgeous. It is 100% Merino wool so it is very soft and buttery, and I can imagine it is going to be lovely and warm to wear.
One thing to note about it though is there is a lot of colour variation, the chunky in Polar Morn looks a lot different to the worsted in Polar Morn, although they are both gorgeous colours.
I can't wait to get stuck in to these new projects!


Malabrigo chunky in Polar Morn


Malabrigo worsted in Polar Morn



Araucania 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh yarn! They're all so lovely! Good luck with circular needles and cables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) So far it is going OK, touch wood! Winding the yarn into a ball was very tedious though! Definitely time to invest in a winder

      Delete